Travel, Gardens, Food, Photography, Books, Shoes

Thursday Doors, April 7, 2016

Quebec City, Canada

Ville de Québec, Canada

No 87!  This is my favorite door photo along the Quartier Petit Champlain, one of the shopping and restaurant areas in Quebec City, Canada! There are lots of interesting highlights in the picture; the royal blue of the door, the different colors and textures of the plants, en masse! But, what I found most quirky about this photo was the stone head of a child, possibly that of a very young sailor, just outside the window on the top left. Also, there were the makings of candles hanging out to dry!  And doesn’t that lamp light look like it’s in a fog? A beautiful and eerie door venue! It is set in Vieux Quebec, the oldest section of the city dating back to the 1600’s. The shops are narrow, attached to one another, and made of stone.

Quartier Petit Champlain, Quebec City, Canada

Quartier Petit Champlain, Quebec City, Canada

As you approach the end of the row of shops, there is #87. At one time it might have been a shop, but now it has decided to be a residence, tucked away behind all those luscious plants. It looks like the old stones were taken out of the structure and made into new steps to reach the door. Now part of the building is brick and the other side a stucco of sorts. I wonder if they will be doing artwork on that side? Many of the older buildings have been given a facelift and the artwork is the highlight of the building!

Artwork on Buildings in Ville de Quebec, Canada

Artwork on Buildings in Ville de Quebec, Canada

Artwork on Buildings in Ville de Quebec, Canada

Artwork on Buildings in Ville de Quebec, Canada

Here, in this photo if you look in the middle of the photo there is a stairway and a door painted on! The old, blending perfectly with the new!

This is just one of many photos in the Thursday Door Collection featured by Norm2.0!   Won’t you join in or take a peak at all the doors?

30 Responses to “Thursday Doors, April 7, 2016”

• CadyLuck Leedy

Eileen, Quebec City is the only place that I have been to that has artwork, which represents the history of the city on it’s walls. It is my favorite city in North America and the reason I study french everyday!

• Eileen On

I’ve been to Montreal but not Quebec City. I may have to add it to my list. This weekend I’m going on a mural tour in downtown LA but the artwork here is not so clearly tied to history. (Or maybe it is. I guess I’ll find out soon.)

1. pommepal

A lovely mystery seems to surround this door. I love how it is cloaked in vegetation and those wall murals are amazing.

2. Dan Antion

I love those buildings! You did challenge me today though. I normally flit between liking red doors and blue doors the best. You included a good example of each – what’s a guy to do? Today, I’m going with blue. They are both great doors, but I like the blue flowers. Great job!

3. Norm 2.0

I love that blue door. The red one I think I have photographed myself as well. Old Montréal is nice but Old Québec has so much more charm. Those murals are wonderful too. Great post!

4. thegenealogygirl

I love that blue door too! My 2nd great grandpa was born in Quebec. He was the first to leave in about 300 years (of my direct line). I feel so drawn to these photos. I want to go!

5. jesh stg

The door is such an intense blue!The plants around it make it a pleasant view. Since I’m a painter I’m greatly interested in the artwork on the side of this building. Wow, a lot of work has gone into this – lovely!

• CadyLuck Leedy

I know, the murals are something aren’t they? It was well planned out and painted! Quebec City is just the most gorgeous place! They put just as much effort into their gardens and displays too!

6. sustainabilitea

A wonderful gallery! I love all the shots and those murals are tremendous. Wouldn’t it be cool to be the artist and have your work on display like this???

janet