Travel, Gardens, Food, Photography, Books, Shoes

Thursday Doors: April 14, 2016

Prison Door iInside Doge's Palace

Prison Door Inside Doge’s Palace, Venice, Italy

Today, let’s take a peek at some of the doors in Venice, Italy. I’ve been dreaming of sunny vacations for the past couple of weeks! Venice, Italy is one of those sunny, magical, dream come true spots on earth. But, it wasn’t so sunny for those who were sent to jail from the olden days until 1930.

This prison door has two big bolt locks and the peep window also has a lock! The door is narrow and one would have to be very short or stooped to get inside the cell. The cell is very small and windowless! The prison was attached to the Doge’s Palace, (the home of the ruling duke) by a passageway called the Bridge of Sighs, aptly named because you had to walk from the Doge’s Palace, where you were sentenced by a tribunal, over to the prison. It was your last look at the world, through a thick, marble, trellised window.

Inside Looking Out from Bridge of Sighs, Venice, Italy

Inside Looking Out from Bridge of Sighs, Venice, Italy

Looking Up at the Bridge of Sighs, Venice, Italy

Looking Up at the Bridge of Sighs, Venice, Italy

This is the Bridge of Sighs as it looks from the outside. There is a canal between the Doge’s Palace and the Prison.

To walk around Venice you follow very narrow pathways tucked between old buildings. You walk and suddenly the path comes to a dead end at a doorway! It’s easy to get lost or disoriented.

Narrow Pathways Between the Buildings in Venice, Italy

Narrow Pathways Between the Buildings in Venice, Italy

The Stop at the End is a Doorway in Venice, Italy

The Stop at the End is a Doorway in Venice, Italy

The Stop at the End is a Doorway in Venice, Italy

The Stop at the End is a Doorway in Venice, Italy

The Stop at the End is a Doorway in Venice, Italy

The Stop at the End is a Doorway in Venice, Italy

The buildings at the main intersections have  arrows directing you to the most popular spots, so you know which way to go to the most familiar sites. Here to cross the street you look up!

Look Up to See Where You Are in Venice, Italy

Look Up to See Where You Are in Venice, Italy

The best way to get around quickly is by gondola! The doors are at water level! Just step outside your place into a gondola! For a post about my gondola experience look HERE! All the photos were taken at close up and personal gondola level!

The Water Level Doors in Venice, Italy

The Water Level Doors in Venice, Italy

At the end of the day treat yourself to a sit and a drink! Nothing better than being served by a gent in a white tux! I hope you enjoyed our excursion around Venice! To see all my posts on Venice just click in the tag area on Venice!

The Florian, Venice, Italy

The Florian, Venice, Italy

This is just one of many photos in the Thursday Door Collection featured by Norm2.0!   Won’t you join in or take a peak at all the doors?

44 Responses to “Thursday Doors: April 14, 2016”

1. sustainabilitea

Thanks for the wonderful tour of a place I’ve sadly never visited. I know it mostly through Donna Leon’s book (but they have no pictures.) 🙂 Wonderful gallery.

janet

2. joey

Gorgeous collection! That first door, with all its iron, wow, that’s like nothing I’ve ever seen! Thanks for sharing 🙂

3. Norm 2.0

What a wonderful collection and yes, that first one is quite imposing. Venice just got bumped up a little higher on my bucket list.
    Great post 🙂

4. Jean Reinhardt

Beautiful photos, I’ve never been to Venice but you’ve made me think about going with those lovely images. That prison looks a scary place.

5. undiscoverdimagesamongstus

Very nice photos! Venice has some great memories since I visited there many years ago. One of the best memories is going to St. Mark’s Square at night, sitting at one of the open tables at the cafes and listening to dueling violins and their ensembles echo through the square. I think the first door photo is great because of the weathering wood and hardware and historical image of a prison door.

6. pommepal

Wonderful photos of Venice and fascinating doors. It brings back memories of being hopelessly and happily lost in the maze of Venice streets.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

The Shrub Queen

Garden Thoughts from Florida's Treasure Coast

sandmoos

stuffs and mo' other stuffs

crabandfish garden

This WordPress.com site highlights our mountain garden and the seasons, seaside reflections and some travel musings.

Dees Platter

Savour and Eat!!!

OUR CROSSINGS

the beauty of a life of travel

Laidback Gardener

Welcome to Larry Hodgson’s world

Gardening on the Rocks

Landscaping among the boulders, bugs and bears in Buncombe County.

thehomeplaceweb

Drop in and stay awhile

Dining with Donald

Donald on dining in and out

A Suffolk Lane

A diary of my life in rural north Suffolk.

Home Grown and Homemade

Growing our own and then eating it

2 Black Hens

My garden through the seasons

Retirement Reflections

What I Wish I Knew Before I Retired

sallysgardenblog.wordpress.com/

Sallys Garden. My thoughts as I garden, design and travel.

My Own Little Allotment

My own little allotment of land (in whatever form it takes, whatever I do with it, or dream of doing) serves as a springboard for creativity and happiness.

thedevelopingplot

Our flowers and plants are healthy, local and friendly to the environment as well as being beautiful.

The Renaissance Gardener

Making a garden in south-west France ... and much more ...

Gardens. Travel. Life.

Spend time twixt London, Somerset and Andalucia - Garden food wine love & a bit of theatre. Also like a holiday or two....ooh & happily retired. Instagram: Pitcombe123

Mostly Not New

Exploring alternatives to constantly buying new crap

%d bloggers like this: