Travel, Gardens, Food, Photography, Books, Shoes

Thursday Doors: April 21, 2016

My Favorite Door in Manarola, Cinque Terre, italy

My Favorite Door in Manarola, Cinque Terre, Italy

The View of All that Quirkiness, Manarola, Cinque Terre, Italy

The View of All that Quirkiness, Manarola, Cinque Terre, Italy

Today for Thursday Doors we are in Manarola, one of the five villages in Cinque Terre, Italy. We stayed at the tippy top of this small village and would walk down everyday to the harbor or train station. These are some of the doors I observed along the way! My favorite is the first Pale Blue Shutter Door! Quite quirky, don’t you think? That entire building was quirky from the porthole windows to the cement gate pass through! What about that wrought iron railing made up of different finds? I liked the curly ques placed at the top of the cement arbor too. The walkway was narrow so I could get up close and personal to study all the finds near this door!

More Sea Blue to Add a Touch of Contrast

More Sea Blue to Add a Touch of Contrast

Here a Touch of Green Goes a Long Way

Here a Touch of Green Goes a Long Way

Why Not Add a Bit of Red to Draw Your Eye?

Why Not Add a Bit of Red to Draw Your Eye?

Manarola may be the oldest of the villages in the Cinque Terre, with the cornerstone of the church, San Lorenzo, dating to 1338. The name Manarola is a form of the latin worlds “magna rota” which means “large wheel” in reference to the mill wheel in the village.

The Teeny Tiny Church Door of San Lorenzo

The Teeny Tiny Church Door of San Lorenzo Church

Notice the bell above the church? As part of the history of the church, we learned that at one time the priest liked to ring the bell a lot, to remind the villagers to come to Mass. The villagers pleaded with him to stop all the ringing, day and night, to no avail. The priest was found murdered in the church and the bell no longer tolls! No one was ever prosecuted for the murder either!

A Door With A Lot Going On Above It

A Door With A Lot Going On Above It

In the picture above one could jump out the window, scoot across the walkway and be gone on the next roof!

A Stroll Along Narrow Walkways Through the Village

A Stroll Along Narrow Walkways Through the Village

Most of the residents in Manarola are involved with the fishing or wine-making industry. The local wine, Sciacchetrà, is well known, and the high quality wine of the region was noted in Roman writings!  The only way to get around the five villages is by train, boat or the hiking trails in the hills and vineyards above the towns, which makes up the Cinque Terre National Park. To read another post about Manarola look Here. You can collect charms that represent each village in the Cinque Terre, to make a bracelet or necklace. To find out how to get the Cinque Terre Charms look Here!

What’s your favorite Door ?

This is just one of many photos in the Thursday Door Collection featured by Norm2.0!   Won’t you join in or take a peak at all the doors?

22 Responses to “Thursday Doors: April 21, 2016”

1. GeorgieMoon

Ooh,your door is fabulous! What a lovely set of photos. I really love the narrow street. I would love to visit here.

2. Jean Reinhardt

I love them all, can’t pick a favourite. Great bit of history attached to that church, too. Well, not great for the murdered priest. 😮

3. pommepal

What totally fascinating doors. That was a rather abrupt way to stop the priest ringing the bell, but it obviously worked.

4. sustainabilitea

I love them all, but my favorite is the third one, with a place to sit and sip in front. I’ve heard of these five villages/towns and I can see from your photos why people take the time and effort to visit them. As for the priest, I guess John Donne’s words apply to well: “Ask not for whom the bells tolls, it tolls for you.” 🙂

janet

5. Norm 2.0

Gorgeous shots and wonderful doors, I can’t pick a fave. Cinque Terre is probably the next place we visit in Italy and if I show this post to my wife it will be the next trip we take, period 😀
    Great post!

• CadyLuck Leedy

Trust me you will really enjoy Cinque Terre! Be sure to stand back from the train though it flies through there! AND be sure to get on the correct train between the villages. Some trains do not stop at every village, just some of them and then off they go! The only time I got a ticket on the train was in Cinque Terre, I got on the fast train in error. 100 euro fine each! Right on the spot! Ouch!

6. joey

Lovely. I particularly love the yellow home with the red flowering vine. That is a stunning capture. 🙂

7. basildonkitchens

Wonderful! Another location that is on our ‘bucket list’ to visit! Thank you for sharing 🙂