Travel, Gardens, Food, Photography, Books, Shoes

A Stroll Through Orvieto, Italy

A Stroll Through Orvieto, Italy

The Doors of Orvieto, Italy

The Doors of Orvieto, Italy

The Doors of Orvieto, Italy

The Doors of Orvieto, Italy

Orvieto, Italy is a dream come true.  From the train it is hardly noticed as one flies by from Rome to Florence. But getting off the train at Orvieto is well worth it. The location of the city rises above the almost-vertical faces of tuff cliffs that are completed by defensive walls built of the same stone called Tufa. Renting one of the nicest apartments we’ve ever had in Europe we arrived during their biggest festival of the year, Festa del Corpus Domini. Our hostess thought that was the reason we were there. We didn’t know anything about it, and thought how fortunate we were to be there for the festival. This Etruscan town is also noted for it’s woodworking and many doors feature their hand made pieces of art.  One thing you will never forget is the fragrance of jasmine from the vines that sweep across the door entrances or along many of the walls!  Enjoy!

The Swags of Jasmine Over the Doors in Orvieto, Italy

The Swags of Jasmine Over the Doors in Orvieto, Italy

The Main Shopping Area in Orvieto, Italy

The Main Shopping Area in Orvieto, Italy

The Main Shopping Area in Orvieto, Italy

The Main Shopping Area in Orvieto, Italy

Streets of Orvieto, Italy

Streets of Orvieto, Italy

I made a video presenting some of the doors of Orvieto and the spectacular surroundings

The Streets of Orvieto, Italy

There is also an underground city underneath Orvieto. Many of the homes of the noble families had a means of escape from the elevated city during times of siege, through secret escape tunnels carved in the soft rock. There was also an underground well dug to supply the town with water.

Underground Orvieto, Italy

Underground Orvieto, Italy

The Duomo or Cathedral of Orvieto, was built on the main square of the town starting in the 12th century for Pope Hadrian IV. It is huge! The side walls are made of horizontal stripes of dark green and white marble! How about that for a door? Look at the size of the people in comparison!

The Duomo in Orvieto, Italy

The Duomo in Orvieto, Italy

Here is the part of town where the people live!

Streets of Orvieto, italy

Streets of Orvieto, Italy

Streets of Orvieto, Italy

Streets of Orvieto, Italy

Visiting Orvieto is a good way to experience Italy without all the bustle. There are several museums tracing the history of the town, fine eating, shops with well made, hand-made goods, and lovely people! Orvieto is a great place to stop! To find out more about Orvieto check out my other blog posts and videos featuring the Festa del Corpus Domini and things to do in Orvieto!

I hope you enjoyed our walk through Orvieto! This is just one of many photos in the Thursday Door Collection featured by Norm2.0!   Won’t you join in or take a peak at all the doors? See you next week!

27 Responses to “Thursday Doors: May 19th, 2016”

1. Suvi

You found so many gorgeous doors! Orivieto looks very inviting, I would love to visit.

2. bikerchick57

Orivieto is a gorgeous town. It is also very unique with the decorations near and around the doors. I especially love the two cats and peacock on the wall. Thanks for sharing your visit, doors, and the beautiful surroundings.

3. joey

What a spectacular place! Just beautiful! I love the wooden door with the owls, such incredible creativity. Thank you for sharing this with us!

• CadyLuck Leedy

There were lots of buildings with the wood carvings on them! We also bought hand turned olive bowls there and had our feet measured for leather shoes! It took them about two months to make them after we picked out the leather and had fittings.

4. Ludwig

Wonderful, wonderful! You have found “the door”, maybe all of them! Thank you for taking us along.

5. Manja Mexi Movie

Orvieto! One of my very favourite towns. But I’ve yet to discover its underground. Sounds amazing! I’ve only seen the huge fountain of St. Patrick’s. One time we were there for a little chocolate fair. It seems that Orvieto gives little unexpected gifts to everybody. 🙂

6. JanetRimmington

Oooooo! These doors! I love every single one of them. You have captured the essence of the place – through the doors. Nicely done.

7. jesh stg

Lovely! Italy is so full of art, even in the smaller cities. We were in Tuscany a few years ago to paint (a paradise for painters!). The underground city is pretty special! Can tell you had a great time in Orvieto. Thanks for sharing!

8. Jean Reinhardt

Thanks for that fabulous journey, what a beautiful place – and you’re quite the director, aren’t you? That’s a brilliant video. 🙂

• CadyLuck Leedy

Jean it took me forever to make the video! What a lot of work! But I thought it was what I wanted in the end! Thanks for commenting about it, you might be the only one to have watched it!

9. Norm 2.0

Thanks for the wonderful tour. Another place to add to my never-ending list 😉
    I will definitely try to visit this town if we get back to this part of the world.